When London won the contract to stage the 2012 Olympic Games, the Olympic Delivery Authority needed a 100ha area in East London to be re-developed to a very tight schedule.
Halcrow acted as technical advisor to BAM Nuttall to remediate the site, which was polluted after 140 years of varied industrial use. This gave BAM Nuttall the verification required to develop areas of the site as much as three months ahead of schedule, allowing the Olympic Games development to proceed on track.
Halcrow is specialist advisor on all aspects of contamination and waste management and on quality assurance of tier one works. The services we provided include:
- site investigation to define the extent, nature and severity of contamination to inform remedial design
- management of sampling and testing protocols and supervision of site works
- segregation of material as necessary to maximise re-use
- classification of waste stream
- verification of soil quality before re-use
- environmental monitoring
- verification reports for planning approval